This is a cover that protects professionals against claims of alleged negligence or breach of duty arising from an act, error or omission in providing a professional service or advice.
What is covered?
|We cover legal liability arising out of negligence on the part of the doctor(s) in the course of their professional duties.
This is negligence which results in:
•Bodily injury (accidental death, injury, disease, illness, mental injury, mental anguish or shock); and
•Costs and expenses incurred (with the insurance company’s consent) in defence or settlements of a claim against the doctor. The following medical practitioners can be covered:
•ENT Surgeons •Pediatricians
•General Practitioners •Cardiologists
|In a contract between a professional and a client, there usually exist implied terms which demand that reasonable care be exercised in the delivery of services. Progressively, client expectations are increasing due to a number of factors.
• Technological advances
• The Consumer Protection Act 2012
• Access to information
• A more intrusive media
•Increase in the size of court awards
Without a measure of what constitutes reasonable care and skill, disputes are inevitable.
This has serious financial implications on medical practioners’ finances and practice.
Steps to take in the event that things go wrong:
1. Make clear records of the event while things are still fresh in the mind. Ensure that you keep all copies in a secure, personal place.
2. Write to us formally, informing us of the event.
3. Do not admit liability. Do not make any offer/promise/payment or engage in any correspondence with a complainant without our written consent.
4. Do not incur any legal expenses that you intend to claim without our approval.
5. Do not respond to any third party correspondence. Instead, forward them to us immediately so that we can respond on your behalf.
*Premium payable. Exclusive of taxes
|Group I:||General practitioner, Dermatology Endocrinology, Geneticist Haematopathology Internal Medicine,
Pathology physician, Psychiatry, Rheumatologist Dentist
|Group II:||Anesthetics, Cardiology, Gastroenterology, Neonatology, Oncology, Paediatrics, Radiology, Urology.|
|Group III:||Cardiac Surgery, ENT Surgery, Ophthalmology.|
|Group IV:||Cardiothoracic Surgery, Thoracic Surgery, Orthopaedics, General surgery, Vascular Surgery, Geriatric Surgery.|
|Group V:||Gynaecology, Neurosurgery.|
In addition to the benefits listed, we also offer the following:
- Free continuing cover on retirement ( provided that the retirement or cessation was not due to being struck off the register of the Kenya Medical Practioners and Dentist Board)
- Free last expense cover for Kshs 25,000